ACC 547 Week 2 - Problem Set # I5-67, I5-61
For more course tutorials visit
As a political consultant for an aspiring politician, you have been hired to evaluate thefollowing statements that pertain to capital gains and losses. Evaluate the statement andprovide at least a one-paragraph explanation of each statement. As you prepare youranswer, consider the fact that the aspiring politician does not have much knowledgeabout taxation.
• a.The tax on capital gains is considered a voluntary tax.
• b.On October 22, 1986, the Tax Reform Act of 1986 was passed, which eliminated the60% of net capital gain deduction (i.e., an individual taxpayer with $10,000 of netcapital gain was entitled to a $6,000 deduction when computing AGI) before January1, 1987. Many state governments enjoyed a substantial increase in 1986 tax revenue.
• c.High-income taxpayers receive the most benefit from preferential treatment for capitalgains.
Comprehensive Problem I5-61
Betty incurs the following transactions during the current year. Without considering thetransactions, her 2006 AGI is $40,000. Analyze the transactions and answer the follow-ing questions:
•On March 10, 2006, she sells a painting for $2,000. Betty is the artist, and she com-pleted the painting in 2001. Her basis for the painting is $50.
•On June 18, 2006, she receives $28,500 from the sale of stock purchased by her unclein 1996 for $10,000, which she inherits on February 20, 2006, as a result of heruncle’s death. The stock’s FMV on that date is $30,000.•On July 30, 2006, she sells land for $25,000 that was received as a gift from herbrother on April 8, 2006, when the land’s FMV was $30,000. Her brother purchasedthe land for $43,000 on October 12, 1998. No gift tax was paid.
• a.What is her NSTCL or NSTCG?
• b.What is her NLTCL or NLTCG?
• c.What is the effect of capital gains and losses on her AGI?
d.What is her capital loss carryforward to 2007?