Taylor Lockhart and Elliott Hoard
All Men are Created Equal
1. Unmitigated- not softened or lessened. (pg. 204)
2. Pauper- an extremely poor person. (pg. 208)
3. Perpetrated- committed. (pg. 203)
4. Temerity- foolish or rash boldness. (pg. 207)
5. Iota- a very small amount. (pg. 205)
6. Aridity- dryness. (pg. 205)
7. Indicted- formally accused; charged. (pg. 204)
8. Minute- exact; precise. (pg. 205)
1. "It ain't honest but it's mighty helpful to folks. Secretly, Miss Finch, I'm not much of a drinker, but you see they could never, never understand that I live like I do because that's the way I want to live" -Dolphus Raymond (213).
-Dolphus Raymond tells Scout and Dill that he is drinking from a paper bag. He offers Dill a drink and he accepts. Scout warns him not to drink much and is surprised when Dill tells her it is Coca Cola. He tells the children that he pretends to be drunk because this lets him live his life the way he wants. The truth of the matter is simply that he prefers black people to white people.
2. "The witnesses for the state, have presented themselves to you gentlemen, to this court, in the cynical confidence that their testimony would not be doubted, confident that you gentlemen would go along with them on the assumption-the evil assumption-that all Negroes lie, that all Negroes are basically immoral beings, that all Negro men are not to be trusted around our women, an assumption one associates with minds of their caliber. Which, gentlemen, we know is in itself a lie as black as Tom Robinson's skin, a lie I do not have to point out to you. You know the truth, the truth is this: some Negroes lie, some Negroes are immoral; some Negro men cannot be trusted around women, black or white. But this is a truth that applies to the human race and to no particular race of men." -Atticus (217)
-Atticus is trying to get the point across that black people...