AMERICAN PAGEANT GUIDED READING QUESTIONS
1. Describe the geological and geographical conditions that set the stage for North American history.
2. Describe the origin and development of the major Indian cultures of the Americas.
3. Explain the developments in Europe and Africa that led up to Columbus’s voyage to America.
4. Explain the changes and conflicts that occurred when the diverse worlds of Europe, Africa, and Americas collided after 1492.
5. Describe the Spanish conquest of Mexico and South America and identify the major features of Spanish colonization and expansion in North America.
1. Summarize the major factors that led England to begin colonization.
2. Describe the development of the Jamestown colony from its disastrous beginnings to its later prosperity.
3. Describe the cultural and social interaction and exchange between English settlers and Indians in Virginia, and the effects of the Virginians’ policy of warfare and forced removal.
4. Describe changes in the economy and labor system in Virginia and the other southern colonies.
5. Indicate the similarities and differences among the southern colonies of Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.
1. Describe the Puritans and their beliefs and explain why they left England for the New World.
2. Explain the basic religious and governmental ideas and practices of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
3. Explain how Massachusetts Bay’s conflict with religious dissenters as well as economic opportunities led to the expansion of New England in to Rhode Island, Connecticut, and elsewhere.
4. Describe the conflict between the colonists and Indians in New England and the effects of King Philip’s War.
5. Summarize early New England attempts at intercolonial unity, and the consequences of England’s Glorious Revolution in America.
6. Describe the founding of New York and Pennsylvania, and explain why these two settlements as well as...