Canteen Stores Department
1. CSD is an army run provisions stores department aimed at providing cost effective, quality goods to its consumers. Working on very small profit margins, the CSD is providing services in almost all the army garrisons across the country. It has however been felt that with the passage of time, as the socio- cultural environment of the country have radically changed over the past decade and half, the CSD management has not been very successful in keeping up with this change.
2. In the ensuing paragraphs an effort has been made to see how the CSD need to cope with the changing times. In this regard, effects of the following Change Drivers will be analyzed:
a. Market Competition.
b. Customers’ Awareness / Preferences.
c. Increased Customer Base.
d. Variety of Goods / Services.
e. Space Management.
3. Market Competition. Though run by army, CSD is an enterprise that is as much affected by its competitors as any other. This point should be the pivot of all the initiatives undertaken by CSD management. At present, you can feel the military atmosphere in the store. The customers, who come to spend their money, need to feel at home in such a store so that they should come not only for money saving but also feeling it to be THEIRS.
4. Customers’ Awareness / Preferences. Over the period of time, increased interaction with the civilians have affected the social outlook of military personnel. Even the troops no more opt for the Tibet Snow cold cream that was once part and parcel of beauty conscious faujis. Such commodities need to be taken off the shelves. Moreover, famous brands must also be introduced in the CSD.
5. Increased Customer Base. With the increase in no of the customers in CSD, they need to increase number of counters and other related services for the customers. The fact that CSD is run by the army, has made its employees / management complacent and they do not appear...