CIPD Assessment Activity
Title of unit/s
Written answers to questions
1. Understand the purpose of employment regulation and the way it is enforced in practice.
2. Know how to manage recruitment and selection activities lawfully.
3. Know how to manage change and reorganisation lawfully.
4. Know how to manage issues relating to pay and working time lawfully.
5. Be able to ensure that staff are treated lawfully when they are at work.
6. Know how to manage performance and disciplinary matters lawfully.
In consultation with your tutor you are required to select three out of the six activities below and provide written answers to each one selected.
1. Explain the purpose of employment law and how it is enforced. Describe the role played by the tribunal and courts system in enforcing employment law. Include how cases are settled before and during formal legal procedures.
2. You are asked to develop a training session for line managers with the title 'managing recruitment, selection and appointments lawfully'. Outline what you would include in your presentation and why. Briefly set out three examples you would use to illustrate your key points.
3. Your organisation is planning a major reorganisation that will involve moving some people to other sites and the outsourcing of a major function to a sub-contractor. You are asked to set out the major ways in which the law protects employees in such situations and to advise managers about carrying out the reorganisation lawfully. What would you say and why?
4. You are asked to write a short briefing paper for managers in your organisation explaining which staff and potential future members of staff are, and are not, entitled to the following:
a maximum working week of 48 hours
the full adult rate of the National Minimum Wage