BATTLE DRILL 3: BREAK CONTACT
TASK. Break Contact (platoon/squad) (7-3/4-D104)..
CONDITIONS. The platoon/squad is moving or stationary. The enemy fires on the platoon/squad. The platoon/squad leader orders the platoon/squad to break contact.
The unit moves to where the enemy cannot observe or place direct fire on it.
1. The squad leader directs one team in contact to support the disengagement of the remainder of the unit. The squad leader designate enemy positions.
2. The platoon/squad leader orders a distance and direction, or a terrain feature, or last objective rally point for the movement of the first squad. The platoon/squad leader
control the movement of the first squad/fire team.
3. The base of fire squad/team continues to suppress the enemy with a high volume of fire. (The squad leader designates the left and right limits).-optional
4. The moving squad/fire team assumes the overwatch position. The squad uses fragmentation, concussion, and smoke grenades (MTETT) to mask its movement.
5. The moving team takes up the designated position. The team leader identifies the engagement area and the enemy positions . He also identifies the friendly
team in contact . The team then provides covery-fire for the team in contact.
6. The squad leader directs the base-of-fire element to move to its next location.
7. The platoon/squad continues to bound away from the enemy until:
a. It breaks contact (the squad must continue to suppress the enemy as it breaks contact).
b. It passes through a higher level support-by-fire position.
c. Its squads/fire teams are in the assigned position to conduct the next mission.
8. The leader should consider changing his unit's direction of movement once contact is broken. This will reduce the enemy's ability to place effective indirect fire on the unit.
9. If the squad becomes disrupted, soldiers stay together and move to the next...