Running head: DEPRESSION
Dr. Paige Telan
January 25, 2009
Depression is a psychological disorder that was entered the diagnostic manual approximately 50 years ago and is defined by Webster as ““a psychoneurotic or psychotic disorder marked especially by sadness, inactivity, difficulty in thinking and concentration, a significant increase or decrease in appetite and time spent sleeping, feelings of dejection and hopelessness, and sometimes suicidal tendencies.” (Depression, 2009). There are several types of depression. The most common type of depression is known as major depression, which is called clinical depression, and chronic depression, also known as dysthimia. Other kinds of depression include, atypical depression, bipolar depression, and seasonal depression. This psychological disorder can affect people of any gender, race, or age. What is more, depression has been said to have affect even some of the most clever and history making individuals, including Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt. Being that depression affects millions of people it is imperative to be knowledgeable about the causes, symptoms, and ways of treating such a disorder.
Depression can be caused by several happenings. The causes of depression include, but are not limited to the following: genetics, stress, personality, illness, abuse or trauma, and alcohol or drugs. Studies demonstrate the genetics is correlated to depression but the genes and traits associated have yet to be identified. For example, as noted on the website the Black Dog Institute, “studies of twins have confirmed that depression can be inherited. The genetic risk of developing clinical depression is about 40%, with the remaining 60% being due to factors in the individual’s own environment” (Depression, 2009). What is more individuals that experience some type of trauma or abuse during the early ages of childhood are likely...