Born: 12 February 1809
Died: 19 April 1882
- English naturalist and geologist.
- He proposed and provided scientific evidence that all species of life have evolved over time from common ancestors through the process he called natural selection.
- The fact that evolution occurs became accepted by the scientific community and the general public in his lifetime, while his theory of natural selection only became seen as the primary explanation of the process of evolution in the 1930s.
- This now forms the basis of modern evolutionary theory.
- Darwin’s scientific discovery remains the foundation of biology, as it provides a unifying logical explanation for the diversity of life.
Reginald "Reggie" Kray and Ronald “Ronnie” Kray
Born: 24 October 1933
Reggie Died: 1 October 2000
Ronnie Died: 17 March 1995
- Identical twin brothers
- Organized crime leaders dominating London's East End during the 1950s and 1960s.
- Ronald, commonly referred to as Ron or Ronnie, suffered from paranoid schizophrenia.
- The Krays were involved in armed robberies, arson, protection rackets, violent assaults including torture and the murders of Jack "The Hat" McVitie and George Cornell.
- As West End nightclub owners they mixed with well-known names such as Diana Dors, Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland as well as politicians. This gave them a perceived respectability and in the 1960s became celebrities in their own right being photographed by the likes of David Bailey and appearing in interviews on television.
- They were eventually arrested on May 9, 1968 and convicted in 1969 by the efforts of a dedicated squad of detectives led by Detective Superintendent Leonard ("Nipper") Read, and were both sentenced to life imprisonment.
- Ronnie was bisexual; however, he married a woman while at Broadmoor. Before his marriage, Ronnie had frequently berated Reggie for his relationships with women.