Name: Kamlesh Nihalani
Project Team Cialis: Getting Ready to Market
What product positioning strategy should the Lilly ICOS LLC marketing team implement to ensure a successful Cialis launch?
1. Creating a “Niche” strategy to target a niche segment of the market
+ Significant number of patients with ED consider “Duration” to be an important parameter to choose a medicine for ED (Exhibit 10; approx 35% in all target countries).
+ Potential to raise prices for longer lasting Cialis.
- Research shows only 10% of PCP’s consider “Duration” to be an important parameter while prescribing an ED medicine.
- Small segment in terms of total market.
2. Devising a “Compete” strategy to compete directly with Viagra
+ Research shows high number of Viagra users and dropouts are willing to try an alternative (Table B).
+ No need to spend resources to promote product awareness, Viagra did the hard work.
- No competitive advantage in pursuing this strategy, just another player in the market.
- Will have to price lower to compete directly.
- Competing against a well established brand and marketing juggernaut of Pfizer.
- Old habits die hard; research shows PCP’s not willing to change the existing prescriptions easily.
3. Creating a “Beat” strategy to compete as a unique product
+ Can penetrate the market segment which has never tried an ED medicine better than Viagra as it has obvious benefits; longer lasting, easier onset, and less side effects than Viagra.
+ Positioning as a medicine for couples as more than 70% of ED patients around the world were married or living together.
+ Can be priced competitively.
I recommend that Lilly ICOS LLC marketing team create a marketing strategy positioning Cialis