CIS 246 Week 3 iLab 3 Sharing Files and Implementing DFS
Lab 3 of 7: Sharing Files and Implementing DFS
Submit your assignment to the Dropbox located on the silver tab at the top of this page.
(See the Syllabus section “Due Dates for Assignments & Exams” for due date information.)
Connect to the iLab here.
Scenario and Summary
• Before beginning work, connect to your virtual lab platform (Skillsoft / Element K).
• You will explore folder permissions, share files, and use a distributed file system.
You may find this resource helpful as you prepare to complete the lab.
• Accessing and Securing Resources
TASK 1: Explore Folder Permissions
STEP 1: Explore Folder Permissions
Back to Top
1. Log on to server with a password of Password!. (Remember the exclamation point.)
2. Click Start, then click Computer to open the Windows Explorer window. Create a folder called Test inside the Users folder on drive C, and then create a folder called Utilities inside Test.
3. Right-click Utilities, click Properties, and then click the Security tab. Notice the grayed check marks. These are inherited permissions.
4. Click Edit. Now you have the ability to change the permissions. You cannot change the ones that are currently checked and deactivated because they are inherited. Remember that Deny permissions override Allow permissions.
5. Click the Add button and then the Advanced button. Click the Find Now button and scroll down to Server Operators and highlight it. Click OK twice to get back to the Properties window. Click the Allow box for Modify.
Insert a screenshot into your lab report showing the permissions for Server Operator (#1).
1. Click OK.
2. Now we want to get rid of the inherited permissions. From the Security tab of the Properties window, click the Advanced button....