CLASSFICATION OF MATTER
* Simplest form of matter
* Cannot be broken down into simple substances by chemical means.
* has only one type of particle
* has a unique set of properties
* most are combined in nature
* ELEMENTS ARE DIVIDED INTO:
* NON- METALS
* NOBLE GASES
* 2 or more elements joined together with a definite composition.
* Can be decompose by simple chemical change
* COMPOUNDS ARE DIVIDED INTO:
* INORGANIC COMPOUNDS
* ORGANIC COMPOUNDS
* a combination of two or more substances that are not chemically combined.
* substances in a mixture retain their identity
* KINDS OF MIXTURES
* Homogeneous Mixture
- same uniform appearance and composition throughout
- mixture of 2 or more substances in a single phase
- consisting of SOLUTE and SOLVENT
* Heterogeneous Mixture
- consists of visibly different substances or components.
* Mechanical Mixture
- components are visibly manifested due to its large particles
- can be separated by means of sieve, forceps, fingers
- particles are visible and will settle out on standing
- smaller particles as compared to mechanical mixture
- have intermediate particle size between solution and suspension.
- maybe seen in the beam of light (tyndall effect)
* METHODS OF SEPERATING MIXTURES
* Mechanical Separation
- separating solid particles that are suspended by pouring the mixture into a filter paper
- includes the filtrate and the residue
-process of separating volatile liquid component of a mixture by heating the mixture to the boiling point of the liquid to be evaporated.
- allowing the solid particles to...