Mansur K. Rashid
Sis. Aliyah Kai
AP 11 Language
28 April 2014
Fine Tuning Your Skills
Commas in a series:
1. My $10 million estate is to be split among my husband, daughter, son, and nephew.
2. After Chad clutched his heart, swooned, and fell to the floor, Mrs. Borglum nudged him with her foot, ordering him to the front of the class to make his speech.
3. When Harold saw his girlfriend Gloria across the crowded airport, he sprinted toward her, leaping over luggage, colliding with travelers, and dodging potted palms.
4. Because Tara is hungry but broke, she hopes to spot Anthony in the cafeteria, flirt with him over a pizza, and then get the poor boy to pay for the meal.
5. My dog Floyd bolts under the bed whenever thunder booms, strangers knock on the door, or I reach for the flea shampoo.
Cities/States in a series:
1. The sites being considered for the new Volkswagen plant are Waterloo, Iowa; Savannah, Georgia; Freestone, Virginia; and Rockville, Oregon.
2. This conference has people who have come from Boise, Idaho; Los Angeles, California; and Nashville, Tennessee.
3. His tour included concert appearances in Austin, Texas; Little Rock, Arkansas; Tulsa, Oklahoma; and Kansas City, Kansas.
4. That tree is the same grim tree of feeling in Birmingham, Alabama; Atlanta, Georgia; and other Southern states.
5. I have traveled to Rome, Italy; Beijing, China; and Giza, Egypt.
Commas with quotation marks:
1. Clark reported, “The aliens are on their way sir!”
2. “Death and destruction,” the General said with woe. “Nothing but death and destruction.”
3. “There is the Parthenon to your left,” Amy continued her tour, “and the sphinx to your right.”
4. Dave soundly retorted, “Where up she lay upon me with bloodied hands and screamed in my face to let go of her soul.”
5. Marco stuttered in fear, “I saw a ghost and his unholy eyes bore straight into my open and unguarded soul.”
Clause introduces a sentence:...