Culture Discovery Questions
1) Do people acquire social positions of importance (achieved status) or do they have them by virtue of their privileged birth (ascribed status)? If both kinds of status attainment exist, explain which is used when.
2) How does a person gain a position of prestige? Can he/she lose that position? If so, how?
3) What are the defining symbols of one’s status in the society? (ex. car, house, clothing, circle of friends, attitudes, etc...,)
4) Are there special rules of etiquette for the interacting with persons of higher status?
5) What is the system of leadership positions in churches or other religious institutions?
6) What kinds of persons does the society consider to be “good” people?
7) What kinds of persons does the society consider to be “bad” people? Can
these people improve themselves?
8) What are the worst kinds of behavior and how does the society seek to control that behavior (what sanctions do they employ)? Which sanctions are the most feared?
9) What would be the common motives for suicide?
10) How do people show respect for one another in the society? What are the severest insults and the most painful kinds of ridicule?
11) What are the chief causes of arguments or litigation in the society?
12) How do people handle/resolve interpersonal conflicts?
13) What do people worry about the most in the society? What are the chief things/events that bring happiness? What are the main causes of anger?
14) Do the people value individual initiative or do they desire conformity to the group related roles?
15) What is the basis for belonging to social groups other than family?
16) What are the chief aspirations of the people? Are they often attained?
17) Who are the chief role models in the society?
18) Who or what are the ideological authorities in the society? How much influence do they have?
19) What are the different forms of wealth in the society?
20) What things or conditions provide the people...