Question: What effect does the mass of the helicopter affect on the velocity?
Introduction / Purpose
This lab is to let us know about the different average velocity or speed of an object that is falling from the sky to the ground, which in this lab we use paper helicopter as the object, and we calculate out the average speed by using logger pro and we recorded a data about the experiment. The dependent variable in this lab is the mass of the helicopter, which we change the mass of the helicopter by putting about 0.5 g of scotch tape on the bottom of the paper helicopter. The independent variable is the velocity in (m/s) of the helicopter that flies down from the motion detector to the ground.
We think that the result would be that the more mass the paper helicopter has the bigger speed it will have.
1. Air conditioners – lower the energy of the air conditioner; try to be in an area where air conditioner doesn’t affect much. Because the air conditioner always blows down, so if cannot control, the affect is the helicopter might gets to the floor faster than it suppose to be.
2. Design of helicopter – The design can be control by using the same paper helicopter all the time, not changing to any others paper helicopter. The reason is because by changing helicopter might cause different initial mass of an object. This means the objects fallen differently, and the length of the wing of the paper helicopter might be changed, and it could make a different to the experiment.
1. Design a paper helicopter
2. Set up the motion detector for position-time graph and velocity-time graph
3. Open ‘Logger Pro’ program
4. Measure the mass of the helicopter
5. Click ‘Collect’ button, then drop the helicopter
6. After the helicopter falls to the ground, observe the slope of the data
7. Record the data
8. Find the slope of the data via the program
9. Record the data
10. Drop the paper helicopter for several trials...