* Designing is the third stage of the system development lifecycle.
* In this stage the actual solution is designed and built.
* This stage includes:
* Describing the information processes
* specifying the system resources required to perform these processes
* Resources used by the new information system include
* Data/ information
* Information technology – some information systems may require new hardware and software or others may utilize existing hardware and software.
* For all approaches of designing involves identifying and describing the details of the new system information processes.
* System models are created using tools in the modeling process. In this process the data and information used and produced by the system is determined and clearly defined with a data dictionary.
* Once the data and information is understood the particular information technology that will perform these processes can be accurately determined.
* Depending on the individual system and the selected development approach it may be necessary to have new software developed or modify old software. Hardware must also be installed in advance.
* Throughout the entire process consultation with both users and participants should be ongoing.
* It is essential that the needs and concerns of all people affected by the final operational system remain central to the design process.
* The system and data modeling tools used in the designing process include: (in hsc course specification booklet form pg 9-13.
* Context diagrams
* Data dictionaries
* Data flow diagram
* Decision trees and decision tables
What is always involved in all approaches of designing?
What impact does designing have on hardware and software?