Differences in Culture
• Know what is meant by the culture of a society.
• Identify the sources that lead to differences in social culture.
• Identify the business and economic implications of differences in culture.
• Understand how differences in social culture influence values in the work place.
• Develop an appreciation for the economic and business implications of cultural change.
This chapter explores the role of culture in international business: how differences in culture across and within countries can affect the practice of business.
The discussion then addresses the major questions of the chapter: What is culture? How does it play itself out in social structures, religious and ethical systems, language, and education? The need for cross-cultural literacy and an appreciation of the impact of culture on competitive advantage are all addressed.
The opening case is explores Wal-Mart’s international expansion efforts. The closing case, examines the practice of guanxi and its implications for doing business in China.
OUTLINE OF CHAPTER 3: DIFFERENCES IN CULTURE
Opening Case: Wal-Mart’s Foreign Expansion
What Is Culture?
Values and Norms
Culture, Society, and the Nation-State
The Determinants of Culture
Individuals and Groups
Religious and Ethical Systems
Country Focus: Islamic Capitalism in Turkey
Management Focus: McDonald’s and Hindu Culture
Culture and the Workplace
Implications for Managers
Culture and Competitive Advantage
Culture and Business Ethics
Management Focus: Cross-Cultural Illiteracy
Critical Thinking and Discussion...