February 2, 2016
What are the characteristics of effective teams?
1. Goals: The team must understand their purpose and vision. Understanding this upfront helps the team to work hard at achievement.
2. Established Roles: Setting and understanding each member’s role helps to discover talents and skills of the team members.
3. Communication: Open and clear communication is very important to be a high functioning team. Effective communication helps each member to stay informed.
4. Participation: All team members should have full involvement. Each member should value the others opinion.
5. Managed Conflict: The team will have to find ways to communicate with differences. The team must learn to look at all points of view. Disagreements among team members helps to encourage solutions that meet everyone’s objective.
6. Diversity: Teams with diversity have better changes of working effectively. Having different ideas brings a great benefit to any team.
7. Leadership Participation: An effective team shares leadership among the team at various times.
8. Positive atmosphere: An effective team has an atmosphere where the team members feel comfortable. The environment has to make members feel that they don’t have to be afraid to express their opinions or be themselves. Constructive feedback helps ease the tension in a group. Celebrate success with the team.
How do roles, needs, and diversity affect teamwork? Provide specific examples.
Generally, roles are the positions team members assume or the parts that they play in a particular operation or process. You may have a person who is better at leading than another; during a particular project you may have a person who is more knowledgeable in that topic. There are people who are better at facilitating meetings and some who are the ones who can look at both sides of a topic and point out specific details on whether...