ENG 122 Week 3 DQ 1 Using Syllogisms to Avoid Fallacy
Copy & Paste the link into your browser to download the tutorial:
Using Syllogisms to Avoid Fallacy. 1st Post Due by Day 3. Prepare
• As you prepare to write your first discussion for this week, complete the following: o Read “An Introduction to Logic and Syllogisms.”
o Watch Syllogism, Mood, and Figure via YouTube.
o Review the grading rubric for this discussion.
• Before drafting your initial post, take time to reflect on the logos in your paper. Have you given logic and reason enough emphasis? Are you concerned about fallacies in your work? Think about each claim and the evidence and rebuttals supporting it. Is the counterargument too strong? Is your evidence and rebuttal strong enough?
Write (due Thursday, Day 3)
• In 200 to 300 words, share at least one syllogism in support of your paper. Choose one idea from your paper and list the categorical syllogism along with its parts in the following format:
o Syllogism: Deductive or inductive?__________________________________________________ oPremise 1 Claim and Evidence:
o Premise 2 Claim and Evidence:
• End your post with any questions or concerns you have regarding logos, syllogisms, or fallacies.
Guided Response (due Monday, Day 7)
• In 125 to 200 words each, respond to at least two classmates. In each response, begin by addressing your
classmate’s questions and concerns. Then, review the syllogism for possible fallacies. Also, state whether you agree that it is an inductive or deductive syllogism and explain why. Finally, share your thoughts on the research selected to support the premises. Has your classmate provided enough evidence?