ENG 125 Week 5 Final Paper
Focus of the Final Paper
Write an eight- to ten-page paper, in which you compare and contrast two literary works from this course that share the same theme (using the “Themes & Corresponding Works” list, below, as a guide).
The paper should be organized around your thesis (argument), which is the main point of the entire essay. When developing a thesis for a comparative paper, consider how a comparison of the works provides deeper insight into the topic of your paper (i.e., think about why you have chosen to look at these particular works in relation to one another). In your analysis, consider the relationships among the following elements:
o Form (e.g., short story vs. poem)
1. Topic: Must address one of the topics in the guidelines
2. Length: Your draft should be eight to ten double-spaced pages in length (excluding title and reference page)
3. Sources: Utilize at least six scholarly sources to support your thesis (including the course text and at least two sources from the Ashford Online Library).
4. APA: Your draft must be formatted to APA style.
a. Separate Title Page: Must include an original title
b. Separate Reference Page
c. Proper Citations: All sources must be properly cited, both within the text and in a separate reference page.
5. Elements of Academic Writing: All academic papers should include these elements.
a. Introduction with a thesis statement
b. Supporting paragraphs
Themes & Corresponding Works
Choose only two of the works within your selected theme.
1. Race / Ethnicity
o Country Lovers (Gordimer)
o The Welcome Table (Walker)
o What It’s Like to Be a Black Girl (Smith)
o Child of the Americas (Morales)
2. Gender Roles / Marriage
o The Secret Life of Walter Mitty...