Democracy in Pakistan
Introduction: Democracy seems admirably progressing in Pakistan. However, certain impediments are maligning its evolutionary wings which need to be overcome. The former has successive factors such as the democratic transition, evolving democratic culture, electoral system and most importantly the citizen’s inclusion of say in the making of government. In spite of an evolving democratic culture, it has been thwarted by certain obstacles. Such as leadership’s shortsightedness, social disarray, economic dilapidation, judiciary’s slumber, media’s impassiveness, civil society’s incoherence and other stakeholders’ disinterest. Leadership has underperformed. It has derailed the art of managing public affairs. The state’s institutions have been infected. It has weakened the process of national integration. Unfortunately, corruption has been no more taboo for the elected. There is a possibility of the evolution of democracy in Pakistan if the aforementioned hurdles are overcome.
Factors’ Nourishing Democracy in Pakistan
1. The first peaceful democratic transition from one civilian government to another
2. Evolving democratic culture of election and mobilization, especially of youth & women
3. Citizens’ participation in the formation of governmental process to ensure democracy
4. People’s involvement in the decision making in large no
5. Installation of local government system is a significant milestone
Factors Responsible for the Derailment of Democracy
1. Myopic leadership has created the gap between the professed values and operational realities
2. Institutional imbalance between civilian and military on one side and on the other between organs of the state
3. Poor political consensus building between the parties to finish the programs of majority
4. Constitutional and political engineering by the military
5. Personalization of power by those in...