Race and Ethnicity: Key Concepts
• Recognize key terms and sociological concepts related to race and ethnicity.
• Describe subordinate group creation and consequences.
1. Read objectives and welcome.
Read instructor’s bio, and post your own bio.
Due Date: Day 1 [post to the Chat Room forum]
2. Read Appendix A regarding the final project requirements.
3. Read Ch. 1 in Racial and Ethnic Groups.
4. CheckPoint: Defining Race and Ethnicity
Due Date: Day 2 [post to the Individual forum]
Post a brief summary (minimum 300 words) that answers all of the following questions:
• What do the terms race and ethnicity mean to you?
• What do the terms prejudice and discrimination mean to you?
• Do you think that discrimination exists in the United States today? Why or why not?
5. CheckPoint: The Sociology of Race and Ethnicity
• Resources: Ch. 1 in Racial and Ethnic Groups and Appendix B
Due Date: Day 4 [post to the Individual forum]
Use Appendix B to match key terms with their correct descriptions.
Post the completed Appendix B as an attachment.
Discussion question responses will count towards the class participation requirement. Discussion questions must be substantive to receive full participation points.
Only posts in the Main classroom forum will count towards your class participation score.
Summary of Week 1 Deliverables
Assignment Location Due
CheckPoint: Defining Race, Ethnicity, Prejudice and Discrimination Individual Forum Week 1, Day 2
CheckPoint: The Sociology of Race and Ethnicity Individual Forum Week 1, Day 4
Recognizing and Overcoming Prejudice
• Recognize how people are impacted by stereotypes.
• Prescribe methods for strengthening modern efforts to reduce prejudice.
• Recognize difficulties in...