After viewing the movie an array of ethical issues were noted. The issues that are going to be addressed goes in accordance to, Codes of Ethics, Human Rights and Morality, , Virtue Ethics,and Ethical Egoism.
The first ethical issue deals with the ‘code of ethics’ pertaining to the medical profession and the extent to which this particular code of ethics was being practiced by the medical board of directors at the health institution.
The World Medical Association Declaration of Geneva (Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, Inc., 1943) states,
* I solemnly pledge myself to consecrate my life to the service of humanity;
* I will give my teachers the respect and gratitude which is their due;
* I will practice my profession with conscience and dignity;
* The health of my patient will be my first consideration;
* I will respect the secrets which are confided in me, even after the patient has died;
* I will maintain by all the means in my power, the honor and the noble traditions of the medical profession;
* My colleagues will be my brothers;
* I will not permit considerations of religion, nationality, race, party politics or social standing to intervene between my duty and my patient;
* I will maintain the utmost respect for human life from its beginning even under threat and I will not use my medical knowledge contrary to the laws of humanity;
* I make these promises solemnly, freely and upon my honor.
As stated in the code of ethics, “The health of my patient will be my first consideration,” and it is of utmost importance. If the health institution was acting in compliance to the physician’s and surgeon’s declaration then the child would not have been refused adequate health care at the health institution. It is however, important to note that codes of ethics are not the law, and some rules or regulations may...