Evidence for the Trustworthiness of the Bible
- The word Bible comes from the Greek word “Biblos,” which means book.
- The Bible is unarguably the BEST SELLING, MOST CIRCULATED, MOST TRANSLATED, & the MOST INFLUENTIAL BOOK OF MANKIND.
Why should anyone believe that the BIBLE is actually true? Might it be a fraud? Might it not be an ancient book of mythology filled with fanciful, deceitful writings of men? Why should I trust the bible?
1. FULFILLED PROPHECY
- There are 26 other religious books that people of faith believe are divinely inspired. Out of these 26, none of them contains any specific, fulfilled prophecies.
-27% of the Bible contains what was predictive prophecy at the time that it was written. (1 out of every 4 verses)
- Gen. 12:1-3, 22:18 (Born of the seed of Abraham)
- Gen. 49:10 (Of the Tribe of Judah)
- 2 Sam. 7:12 (Of the House of David)
- Micah 5:2 (City in which He was born)
- Mal. 3:1 (He’d come while Temple still standing)
- Isa. 7:14 (Born of a Virgin)
- Isa. 35:5-6 (He’d perform Miracles)
- Psalm 118:22; 1 Peter 2:7 (He’d be rejected by His own people)
- Daniel 9:24-26 (Precise time in history in which He’d come)
- Psalm 22:16-18; Isa. 53; Zech. 12:10 (How He’d die)
- Psalm 16:10; Acts 2:27-32 (He would rise from the dead)
“Maybe Christians inserted those prophecies back into the OT after Jesus lived.”
- exists hundreds of Old testament manuscripts that predate Christ’s birth. In 1945 a shepherd boy in Qumran found the Dead Sea Scrolls in a hillside cave that was untouched for about 2000 years. The scrolls were left here by the Essenes, a Jewish sect living in Qumran about 200 yrs. Ago. Every book of the OT was in these scrolls except for the Book of Esther. It’s manuscript, like the scroll of Isaiah dates back to about 100 B.C.
“How do you know that the Dead Sea Scrolls date back to before Christ?”
- scholars determined...