It all began on Wednesday, May 12. Three days before San Isidro, the biggest festival in Madrid. A feast that lasts one week and a half, more or less, with dancing and entertainment every night. Thousands of Madrid are in the street until very late, and there are people and noise everywhere but especially in the middle. And I live in the center. In addition, to me, I do not like festivals. So, that year had decided to go on holiday. That Wednesday May 12, was about to leave. I thought spend all week in Minorca. In May is a good time: few tourists and, probably, quite good weather. I wanted to sunbathe and do nothing at all. Just relax. Relaxing and read a couple of good novels. But it could be. The agency does not have a lot of detective work normally. But whenever I want to go on holiday, the going gets rough. That Wednesday May 12, one day before I went to Minorca, the phone rang.
I heard that Margaret, the secretary, pick up the phone. Our office is so small that you hear everything.
- Yes, yes, a moment, please. One moment.
How strange. It was not Tony, Margarita’s boyfriend, I thought. He calls about three to four times a day.
- Lola, a call for you, "said Margarita. Someone called Maria Jose Pancho... Or something like that.
- Lola? – it was a woman's voice.
-Yes, talk to me.
- Look, I do not know if you remember me ... My name is Maria Jose Sancho. We met at a dinner at Alberto Sanjuán’s house ...
- Ah ... ... yes, yes. I think so ... --I said. But it was not true: I don’t recall any Maria Jose Sancho. I have quite a bad memory for names.
-We have a problem and wanted to talk to you.
-Is it urgent?
-Yes, it’s very urgent.
Goodbye to my vacation in Minorca
- Do you want to come to see me today? I asked without much enthusiasm.
-Yes right now, if it’s good for you.
-Sure. Do you have the address?
- Yes, Alberto gave it to me: Alcala, 38. Correct?
- I am not very far away. I’ll arrive in about twenty minutes.