Final Exam Study Guide
1. What is a byte?
A: 8 Bits
2. When using a truth table, 1 and 0 equal ______.
3. What do parentheses do in mathematical equations?
A: IT Emphasizes the first procedure.
4. What is a node on a network?
A: Any device on the network.
5. Which of these following physical topologies has the inherent weakness of a single point of
A: Star Topology
6. What is the protocol for internet? What are the parts of a web address?
A: HTTP: // (Sub-Domain.) (Server. top-level –domain) (/file-path)
7. What is basic to every networking standard?
8. Why is the TCP/IP model divided into layers?
A: For Troubleshooting and Teaching
9. Which layer of the OSI model (shown below) is responsible for encryption and compression?
A: “OSI-7”, “TCP/IP-5”
10. What is a closed electrical circuit?
A: A circuitry running currency from – to +.
11. What is a network encoding scheme?
A: A Character Set
12. What causes full duplex to transmit and receive simultaneously?
A: 4 wires, one pair dedicated to transmit and another to receive data at the same time.
13. Max cable length for cat-5?
A: 100m or 328ft
14. What is 802.3? What is 802.11?
A: 802.3= Ethernet, 802.11= Wi-Fi
15. What is meant by Ethernet “bit rate” as defined by IEEE standards?
A: How many calculations done per second in the exchange of packets.
16. What is the pin out for a cat-5 cable?
A: Wires 1, 2, 3, and 6
17. In wireless networking what is a site survey for?
A: To identify RF interference due to wall depth and placement for the best quality of service (QoS).
18. What does the Wi-Fi Alliance do?
A: The Wi-Fi Alliance is a trade association that promotes Wireless LAN technology and certifies products if they conform to certain standards of interoperability with IEEE.
19. What happens to a wireless signal the further you get from an AP?
A: Signal Attenuation
20. What is an Omnidirectional antenna for?
A: To send signal in all...