ACCORDING TO BUZZLE.COM:
• Developed nations have outsourced manufacturing and white-collar jobs. Manufacturing goods overseas is cheaper because workers in developing countries, such as India and China, are willing to work longer hours for lower wages. Outsourcing causes many companies to put many of its workers out of the job.
• Exploitation of labor has risen. Child labor law are violated and safety regulations are ignored to produce cheap goods. Nepal, Kenya, and Bangladesh are countries where this laws have been violated due to a sinking economy forcing big businesses that are overseas to look for cheaper labor. In some countries, kids are forced to work to help keep the family just at the poverty line.
• Terrorism becomes more apparent.
1. Hendrik Hertzberg wrote in The New Yorker (9/24/01) that globalization ". . . relies increasingly on a kind of trust -- the unsentimental expectation that people, individually and collectively, will behave more or less in their rational self-interest. . . . The terrorists made use of that trust. They rode the flow of the world's aerial circulatory system like lethal viruses." Furthermore, the extreme Muslim fundamentalists (and others) worry that unbridled globalization can exploit workers and replace ancient cultures with McDonald's and Mickey Mouse.
2. According to a report in The International Herald Tribune, Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi drew a direct connection between the terrorists and anti-globalization protestors: "The terrorists were trying 'to stop the corrupting effect of Western civilization on the Islamic world.”
3. Enemy nations can spread propaganda through the Internet and television. On September 16, 2001, bin Laden read a statement later broadcast by Qatar's Al Jazeera satellite channel denying responsibility for the attack. In the 2004 Osama bin Laden video, he stated he had personally directed the nineteen hijackers. In the 18-minute...