Informative Speech Outline
Speaker’s Name: Holly Mixon
Speech Topic: Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO’S)
General Purpose: To Inform
Central Idea (Main Goal): Should we have GMO’S or not?
Attention Grabber: Have you ever heard of a GMO?
Materials: PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, Google Chrome
(Transition): Why should I care?
First Major Point: What are GMO’S?
A. What does GMO stand for? What does it mean?
1. GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organism.
2. It means that an organism has had its genes changed to form a better product.
B. What organisms are genetically modified, and who modifies them?
1. Most organisms that are modified are agricultural, and are consumed by the human population.
2. Agriscientists modify them.
C. Why do we have GMO’S?
1. Scientists modify these organisms in hopes to produce a better healthier product for consumers.
2. However, there is a large debate on whether or not we should have GMO’S.
(Transition): Now that we have a better understanding of what a GMO actually is, what would we get out of them?
Second Major Point: Benefits
A. Why some feel that we need GM foods.
1. With an ever increasing global population, massive 3rd world hunger, and with an estimation that a child dies for every two seconds worldwide from starvation; this does not even take into account the number of people who are mal and undernourished, there is a great promise in the use of this technology to benefit not only the farmers, but also societies worldwide
B. Environmental benefits
1. Soil salinity has become a major problem in all agriculture. This has made crops less able to grow and in some cases unable to grow at all.
2. Thus we need to research the possibility of using the genes of salt tolerant plants species (eg: mangrove) in our agricultural crops
C. Human Benefits
1. Food can now be fortified with iron...