Geology 20 MW
Quiz: Earth Science Mid-Term Fall 2015
1. Humans first realized that the Earth was spherical _____.
d. during the time of Aristotle in ancient Greece. ( text, pages 5-10)
2. The distinction between the crust and the mantle is primarily on the basis of ____.
a. chemistry (mineral content) (text, page 9)
3. The distinction between the lithosphere and asthenosphere is primarily on the basis of ____.
c. degree of physical rigidity (text, page 9)
5. A silica-rich igneous rock which has coarse crystals and which makes up much of the continental crust is ____.
b. granite (text, pages 51-53)
7. A silica-poor rock that makes up most of the Earth’s mantle is called ____.
a. peridotite (text, page 54)
12. All silicate minerals contain the elements silicon and ____.
d. oxygen (text, page 35)
13. The most common element in the whole Earth is ____.
c. iron (text, page 35)
14. The most common element in Earth’s crust is ____.
a. oxygen (text, page 35)
15. The second most common element in Earth’s crust is ____.
b. silicon (text, page 35)
18. Earth’s magnetic field is generated by ____.
a. the flow of molten rock within the liquid inner core (text, page 173)
19. The thickness of marine sediment is greatest ____.
c. on the outer edges of the abyssal plain (text, page 310)
20. Within the ocean basins, the rate of geothermal heat flow is greatest ____.
a. along the mid-ocean ridge (text, page 257)
21. The oldest basalts on the ocean floor are about ____ years old.
c. 180 million (text, page 303)
22. Earth is approximately ____ years old.
e. 4.53 billion (text, pages 5-10)
29. On average, continental lithosphere _______.
a. is thicker than oceanic lithosphere (text, page 312)
33. Earthquake waves that propagate via an expansion/ compression motion and can pass through all material phases are called ____.
a. P-waves (text, page 195)
34. Earthquake waves that propagate via a sideways...