1) Explain the situation of Russia at the beginning of the XXth C. Write a paragraph using these words: transport – nationalities – backward – industries – government – landowners – economy – agrarian –
2) Choose one of the opposition groups to the tsarist government and explain their objectives and methods: liberals, social-revolutionaries and Marxists. Which of them represented a greater danger for the Tsar? Why?
3) The outcomes of the March revolution were two new organisms of government. Which ones were they, what were their objectives and which class did they represent?
4) Choose and explain one of the following topics:
-Land Reform Decree.
-Treaty of Brest-Litovsk.
-Civil War 1918-1920.
5) Explain in no more than five lines: War Communism and NEP. Give your opinion about the suitability of these measures according to the socioeconomic situation of the period.
1. Russia´s situation at the beginning of the XXth century was really bad. They were an backward country. The causes of this are many:
*First of all, it was a country with an agrarian economy ( the little industry it had was situated in the European part) and most of the wealth came from this activity; but, as the methods used and the climate were terrible, during winters the harvest was ruined and landowners were left to starve.
*The government found it very difficult to control the country because it was a huge territory with bad means of transport and because the population had different nationalities and spoke different languages.
2. Liberals: they were the largest opposition group. Their objective was to replace the Tsar´s autocratic government with an elected parliament called the Duma. They also wanted to have a written Constitution to follow. The two points on which they didn´t agree were: that some wanted to have an elected president while other wanted to have a constitutional monarchy like in Britain, and that some wanted to oppose the Tsar openly...