Running Head: Homosexuality
Homosexuality: Mental Illness or a way of life?
Homosexuality: Mental illness or a way of life?
Homosexuality in today's society is defined as a sexual attraction between persons of the same sex. In the past it has been argued that this state of mind is in fact a mental illness, having a place amongst other mental disorders listed throughout the DSM editions. In my opinion it is a way of life that does not disrupt a person`s daily functioning, unless environmental factors affect the person through persecution causing mental distress.
* Community needs to accept homosexuality to reduce mental distress
* DSM II (1968) section 302.0 Homosexuality DSM III (1980) section 302
1) The diagnostic status of homosexuality in DSM-III: a reformulation of the issues
2) Index of Psychiatric Disorders
3) Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disordershttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagnostic_and_Statistical_Manual_of_Mental_Disorders#DSM-III_.281980.29
4) DSM II
5) Google search page: Homosexuality is a choice
6) Definition of Homosexuality
7) Dictionary.com search Homosexuality
8) G,L,B and T Individuals (ebook)