The Positive Impact of the Rastafarian Diet an Individual’s Health
The Rastafarians generally follow an Ital diet- this means that it is salt-less and vegetarian- it also means natural food. Though there are many discrepancies as to whether a vegetarian and salt-less diet is healthy, this type of diet reaps a lot of benefits health wise for an individual.
• Cutting back on salt dramatically reduces blood pressure, and reduces the risk of heart disease. Harvard researchers say people on a low salt diet have a 25-30% lower chance of developing cardiovascular disease and also a reduces risk of dying by 20%
• There is increased heart health because vegetarians on average consume more nuts. These nuts contain “good” fats, such as omega-3 and omega-6. This promotes good heart health by reducing “bad” cholesterol and unclogging arteries.
• Vegetarians also enjoy increased skin health. In addition to consuming larger quantities of nuts, vegetarians tend to consume more fruits and vegetables, which are rich in essential vitamins, this leads to good skin health. Fruits and vegetables also contain high amounts of fiber, which helps flush toxins out of the body, further contributing to skin health.
• Vegetarians also enjoy increased natural consumption of antioxidants such as vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotenes and phytochemicals. Antioxidants are foods that help to prevent cancer, and increase your heart health.
• Vegetarian diets are beneficial in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, hypertension, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis, renal disease and dementia, as well as gallstones and rheumatoid arthritis.
• Vegetarians seem to have a lower risk of obesity, diabetes mellitus and some forms of cancer.
• Cholesterol, which is recognized as primary risk factor in heart disease is lower in vegetarian diet
• Regular consumption of fruits and vegetables protects against risk of stroke.
• Giving up meat helps...