*NUCLEAR DEAL OF INDIA WITH UNITED STATES – A REVIEW*
The nuclear deal of India with US was one the major event globally in year 2008.
This is the mark of the beginning of new Era in Indian nuclear technology. Here are some of the major points stated in the Indo-US pact.
1. The US state department has told its country’s congress that the pact would be off if India conducts a nuclear test.
2. The US state department also said that the deal would not mean transfer of any sensitive technology to India or uninterrupted nuclear fuel supply.
3. “US Govt. will not assist India in the design, construction, or operation of sensitive technology” spell out by US Congress.
4. As the 45 country nuclear cartel sat down on the 4th September ‘08’ to consider the new US draft text for India Waiver, the debate had narrowed down to the infamous “testing” clause.
5. Last time, consensus broke down on three main points-
• What happen if India Test another nuclear device.
• Whether India should get enrichment and reprocessing technology.
• Whether India should come under some kind of a review program.
6. The new draft says “In the event that one or more participating govt. consider that circumstances have arisen which require consultation, participating govt. will act according to paragraph 16 of the guideline.
7. Article 16 says if there is a “violation of supplier/recipient understanding…… particularly in the case of an explosion of a nuclear device, or illegal termination or violation of IAEA safeguards by the recipient, supplier should consult promptly through diplomatic channels….
8. Upon the findings of such consultation, the supplier bearing in mind Article XII of the IAEA status, should agree on an appropriate response and possible action, which could include the termination of nuclear transfer.
9. When the Austrian were shown the draft, the officials boiled over. “You think we should go house to house to...