Inferential Homework for Chapters 1-4
1. Using SPSS, enter GPA data for all classes BY ROW. If you have the book you can follow the example on pages 22-24. Copy and paste the data by row into your word document for your homework assignment.
2. (p. 26, #17). A researcher measures the height and income of participants and finds that taller men tend to earn greater incomes than do shorter men. What type of research method did the researcher use in this example (experiment, correlation, etc.)? Explain.
3. (p. 27, #19). To determine whether a new sleeping pill was effective, adult insomniacs received a pill (either real or fake) and their sleeping times were subsequently measured (in minutes) during an overnight observational period.
a) Identify the independent variable in this study.
b) Identify the dependent variable in this study.
4. Using SPSS, follow the example on pages 86-88 of your book. Enter time that it took 20 participants to write down 10 uses for a paper clip on a creativity test. Copy and paste the statistics box showing the mean, median, and mode from this data.
5. (p. 91, #21). Based on the scale of measurement for each variable listed below, which measure of central tendency is more appropriate for describing the data?
a) The time (in years) it takes a sample of students to graduate from college
b) The blood type (A, B, AB, O) of a group of participants
c) The rankings of college undergraduate academic programs
6. (p. 91, #22). An instructor gives students a surprise quiz and records a mean grade of 12 points. What is the new mean value if the instructor does each of the following?
a) Adds 10 points to each quiz
b) Subtracts 2 points from each quiz
c) Doubles each quiz...