1. What is the primary subject of cave art at Lascaux?
The wildlife around these early humans.
2. Describe the Woman of Willendorf.
A Large woman with emphasis on body parts related to child birth or fertility.
3. Who developed cuneiform and what is it?
Ancient Sumerians developed cuneiform. Cuneiform is one of the earliest forms of writing.
4. What is a ziggurat?
A ziggurat is a building built by ancient civilizations that are similar to pyramids. Typically of religious significance.
5. Describe the conventions of Sumerian art.
Abnormally large eyes, hands held together, and frontal symmetry.
6. What is the Stele of Hammurabi?
It is a monument of ancient laws written by a king named Hammurabi.
7. What is the Epic of Gilgamesh about? What famous bible story does it parallel?
The Epic of Gilgamesh is about a partially god, king who takes a journey and comes to a realization about the evil ways he ruled his people. This story parallels the story of the great flood portrayed in the bible.
8. What is a likely reason explaining the lack of Israelite visual arts?
It is believed the Second Commandment prohibited very much visual art.
9. What were the Pharaohs considered?
Pharaohs were considered gods.
10. What has happened to the original smooth facing of varicolored sandstone and granite on the pyramids?
11. Describe the great sphinx.
12. What is the most important surviving artifact of Egyptian literature?
13. Describe the artistic conventions used in the images of the Egytians.
14. Define "ka."
15. Which Egyptian pharaoh adopted monotheism? What is monotheism
16. Identify the subject of the bust shown here:
17. Where is the palace of Minos?
18. What famous mythological creature lived there?
19. Compare and contrast the Minoan culture and the Mycenaean culture.
20. Approximately how long did the Greco Roman classical period last?
1. What is an acra and why...