RETS Online College
Introduction to HIPAA
1) identifies the individual or offers a reasonable basis for identification
2) is created by a covered entity or an employer
3) relates to a past, present, or future physical or mental condition, provision of health care, or payment for health care.
3. The difference between the privacy and the security of health information is privacy is defined as the right of an individual to keep his/her individual health information from being disclosed. Security is defined as the mechanism in place to protect the privacy of health information.
4. The minimum necessary concept is important under HIPAA. It means that access to protected health information should be limited to the minimum amount that will achieve the purpose of the request.
HIPAA: For Health Care Professionals, 2008, Dan Krager, Carole H. Krager
The medical field to no surprise has been one of the fastest growing areas of employment in recent years. My future career in the medical field will entail a variety of tasks. As a Medical Billing and Coding assistant I will have to perform both administrative and clinical tasks to keep the office of physicians running smoothly. The duties vary from office to office, depending on the location and size of the practice and specialty. To ensure that traffic flows smoothly through the medical office during the course of the business day some tasks will include taking medical histories and recording vital signs, explaining treatment procedures to patients, preparing patients for examinations, and assisting physicians during examinations. Medical assistants collect and prepare laboratory specimens and sometime perform basic laboratory tests on the premises, dispose of contaminated supplies, and sterilize medical instruments. Medical assistants work in well-lighted, clean environments. They constantly interact with...