1) identify the most important strategic issues facing Jetblue as a result of both internal and external analyses,
2) identify and analyze the best alternative courses of action most relevant to the key issue(s),
3) recommend a specific course of action from the alternatives, and
4) justify that recommendation as the best given your analysis.
Please note this assignment is not the same as answering the discussion questions, which are provided to help you prepare for class discussion. A guideline for case analysis is appended to this syllabus. Despite the increasing depth of analysis needed, case analysis can be no longer than two-pages (single-sided, single spaced, 12 point Times New Roman, 1” margins throughout). You may attach up to two pages of supporting documentation, such as financial analysis.
MGT 589 Strategic Management Case Analysis Guidelines
1) Identify the strategic issues in this case through internal and external analysis
a) A strategic issue is any issue that has the potential to fundamentally affect the company's competitive position, its strategy, its operations and its prospects. Typically, it is the issue addressing which resolves all other issues. More importantly, the number of strategic issues facing an organization is limited in number - at the most there are two or three such issues. Prioritize. Look not at the symptoms but the underlying cause.
b) To identify the strategic issues one needs to examine the firm's competitive positioning. The firm's competitive positioning is arrived at after an analysis of the firm's environment (industry analysis), the firm's resources and capabilities (internal analysis) and the firm's strategies and its outcome. The strategic issue is something that has the potential to affect the firm's competitive positioning and may be due to changes in the environment, internal resources and capabilities, questionable strategies and the like.
c) Third, to examine the competitive...