Lab # 5 Assessment worksheet
1. NMAP is primarily a host detection and port discovery tool. Instead of using Nessus to look for specific vulnerabilities against a known quantity of hosts, NMAP discovers active IP hosts using a combination of probes. On the other hand Nessus takes the open ports into account and notifies you if these ports have potential security vulnerabilities attached to them. Nessus is typically installed on a server and runs as a web-based application. Nessus uses plugins to determine if vulnerability is present on a specified machine.
2. In SSIDer is a Wi-Fi network scanner for the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Vista, and 7. It is free and open source. The software uses the current wireless card or a wireless USB adapter and supports most GPS devices (namely those that use NMEA 2.3 or higher). Its graphical user interface shows MAC address, SSID, signal strength, hardware brand, security, and network type of nearby Wi-Fi networks. It can also track the strength of the signals and show them in a time graph
3. The annual SANS Top 20 classifies most of these dangerous holes for both Windows and UNIX, and prescribes best practices for patching and remediation. Also, the SANS Top 20 arranges vulnerabilities into 10 classes for each platform with categories of vulnerabilities within them.
4. The Intense Scan can take 3 to 5 minutes to complete all 36 test scripts. When the scan has finished, Zenmap will display the Nmap done command.
5. 22/tcp open Ssh, 53/tcp open domain, 80/tcp open http
7. 192.168.1.79 and 192.168.1.81
8. Through passive monitoring, PVS can reveal devices and software on the network that are not authorized, or that may indicate a network compromise.
9. They are a risk because a Trojan can be used to transmit data to an attacker. They hold a port open, e.g. Port 31337. The attacker connects to the Trojan and sends requests to do a certain task, for example to make a screenshot. The...