B.A. LL.B. (Hons.)
I Year II Trimester
LAW AND POLITICAL VIOLENCE
ID NO: 1612
DATE OF SUBMISSION: December 20, 2007
TABLE OF CONTENTS
RESEARCH METHODOLOGY 3
REVIEW OF LITERATURE 4
POLITICAL VIOLENCE IN INDIA: AN ANALYSIS 8
VIOLENCE-A VITAL INSTRUMENT IN INDIAN POLITICS 11
COMMUNAL & POLITICAL VIOLENCE 14
LAW AND POLITICAL VIOLENCE 15
CASE STUDY: THE NANDIGRAM VIOLENCE 20
Aims and objectives.
The main aim of this paper is to give a holistic perspective on political violence in India and its relationship with the law in India. The paper aims to look at the relation between communal and political violence.
Scope and limitations
The scope of the research paper is confined to the study of the nature and usage of political violence in India and the relationship between political violence and the law. It is limited by the fact that it looks only at India, and the way violence is used here, and not at other countries.
The researcher has endeavored to deal with the following questions in the course of the paper
1. Why is political violence so prevalent in India?
2. How is violence used as an instrument in Indian politics?
3. How do Indian laws deal with political violence?
4. Does there exist a distinction between political and communal violence in India?
• Chapter 1: This chapter seeks to examine why political violence is so widespread in India. It examines this anomaly and tries to reason out its presence.
• Chapter 2: This chapter examines how violence is used as an instrument in Indian politics. It looks at the different types of political violence and looks at which of them are employed in Indian politics and the reasons for this.
• Chapter 3: This chapter looks at the relationship between communal and political violence...