Instructor Sharon Brady
Out of Class Assignment
December 4, 2008
1. Basic Metabolic Profile - Common Name: BMP/ Color of tube test is drawn in Red/Blk
Used to determine the status of the kidneys, electrolytes, blood sugar and calcium levels.
2. Comprehensive Metabolic Profile - Common Name: CMP/ Color of tube used: Gray
This test measures the blood sugar level, the fluid balance, and the kidney/liver functioning. The Patient should fast 12 hrs before test is done.
3. Electrolyte Profile: Common Name: Lytes/ Color of tube used: Red
Determines fluid and electrolyte balances. Also measures the sodium and potassium levels in the body.
4. Hepatic Profile: consists of 7 tests: Color of tube used: Red
Monitors liver functioning for patients during certain drug treatments and is also ordered for patients with symptoms with liver problems.
5. Lipid Profile: Common Name: Cholesterol/ Color of tube used: Light Green
This test is for individuals who are at risk of heart disease.
6. Cardiac Profile: Common Name: Cardiac Risk Assessment/ Color tube used: Royal Blue. This test looks at the disturbed carbohydrates levels for individuals who are at cardiac risk.
7. Free T4 '' Common Name: T4 or Total T4/ Color of tube used: Red/Blk
Diagnoses hyper or hypo thyroidism, and also diagnoses female infertility.
8. TSH '' Common Name: Thyroid Stimulating Hormone/ Color tube used: Red/Blk
Also known as: Thyrotropin. It diagnoses any thyroid disorder and screens newborns for underactive thyroid problems.
9. CBC '' Common Name: Complete Blood Count/ Color tube used: Lavender
Also known as: Hemogram. This is a panel of broad screening tests that checks for certain diagnoses and infections, examining different parts of the blood.
10. Reticulocyte Count '' Common Name: Retic Count/ Color tube used: Lavender
This test determines if the bone marrow is responding adequately to the body’s need for red blood cells....