MAT 221 Week 1 Assignment 1 Simplifying Expressions
For more course tutorials visit
Read the following instructions in order to complete this assignment, and review the example of how to complete the math required for this assignment:
• Use the properties of real numbers to simplify the following expressions:
• 2a(a – 5) + 4(a – 5)
• 2w – 3 + 3(w – 4) – 5(w – 6)
• 0.05(0.3m + 35n) – 0.8(-0.09n – 22m)
Write a two to three page paper that is formatted in APA style and according to the Math Writing Guide. Format your math work as shown in the example and be concise in your reasoning. In the body of your essay, please make sure to include:
• Your solution to the above problem, making sure to include all mathematical work.
• Plan the logic necessary to complete the problem before you begin writing. For examples of the math required for this assignment, please review Elementary and Intermediate Algebraand the example of how to complete the math required for this assignment.
• Show every step of the process of simplifying and identify which property of real numbers was used in each step of your work. Please include your math work on the left; the properties used on the right.
A discussion of why the properties of real numbers are important to know when working with algebra. In what ways are they useful for simplifying algebraic expressions? The incorporation of the following five math vocabulary words into the text of your paper. Use bold font to emphasize the words in your writing (Do not write definitions for the words; use them appropriately in sentences describing your math work.):
• Like terms
• Removing parentheses
For information regarding APA samples and tutorials, visit the Ashford Writing Center, within the Learning Resources tab on the left navigation toolbar.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate...