Michaelmas Term 2010
(2 hrs 40 min)
Instructions to Candidates
1. Answer ALL questions in Section I and ANY TWO in Section II.
2. Begin the answer for EACH question on a NEW page.
3. Full marks may not be awarded unless full working or explanation is shown with the answer.
4. Mathematical instruments and silent electronic calculators may be used for this paper.
5. You are advised to use the first 10 minutes of the examination time to read through this paper. Writing may begin during this 10-minute period.
DO NOT TURN THIS PAGE UNTIL YOU ARE TOLD TO DO SO
LIST OF FORMULAE
Volume of a prism V = Ah where A is the area of a cross-section and h is the perpendicular length.
Volume of a right pyramid V = ¹∕3 Ah where A is the area of the base and h is the perpendicular height.
Circumference of a circle C = 2πr where r is the radius of the circle.
Area of a circle A = πr2 where r is the radius of the circle.
Area of a trapezium A = ½(a+b)h where a and b are the lengths of the parallel sides and h is the perpendicular distance between the parallel sides.
Roots of quadratic equations If ax 2 + bx + c = 0,
Then x =
Trigonometric ratios Sinθ =
Area of triangle Area of Δ = ½bh where b is the length of the base and h is the perpendicular height.
Area of ΔABC = ½ab sinC
Area of ΔABC =
where s =
Cosine rule a2 = b2 + c2 – 2bc CosA
Answer ALL the questions in this section.
ALL working must be clearly shown.
1. (a) Using a calculator, or otherwise, determine the exact value of
(i) (1.5)2 + (2.1)2
(b) (i) Write the answer in Part (a) (i) correct to one significant figure.
(ii) Write your answer in Part (a) (ii) in standard form.
(c) Give the three (3) mathematical laws. (3 marks)
Total 12 marks