Social Studies 41G United States Government
Lesson 2 Assignment
Name: Vanessa Nichols
Objective: to define selected vocabulary words
Directions: Define each of the following terms in your own words. Write two or three complete sentences for each definition.
1. Amendment: A minor change or addition designed to improve a text, piece of legislation, etc. It is laws that are added to the constitution.
2. Bill of Rights: They are the first 10 amendments to the constitution. (Free speech and assembly; Right to bear any and all arms including firearms, bear arms, tanks, and Jets., Right to an attorney, right not to talk (i.e. criminalize oneself); right from undue search and siezure; Right from troops/police/government quartering themselves on your property, and some other rights in no particular order ). The main purpose of the bill of rights is to reduce the power of government's impulsive actions towards its citizens. It gives the citizens power to rights over life, property and several other things.
3. Executive agreement: An agreement between the heads of government of two or more nations that has not been ratified by the legislature as treaties are ratified. Executive agreements are considered politically binding to distinguish them from treaties which are legally binding. An executive agreement is one of three mechanisms by which the United States enters into binding international agreements. They are considered treaties by some authors as the term is used under international law in that they bind both the United States and a foreign sovereign state.
4. Formal amendment: One that actually adds to or changes the US Constitution. It is ratified by the states and becomes law.
5. Informal amendment: A change to the meaning or interpretation of the Constitution of the United States. There is no real informal way to change the Constitution, and it's not an actual change to...