November 22, 2012
Dr. Ardain Isma
Writing Across the Curriculum
Exercise pg. 35
1. Not a thesis, lacks unity, and is too general.
a. In a weak economy, employers do not hire quality workers because they lack the adequate funds needed to pay its employees.
2. Not a thesis, too general.
b. Teenage drivers are a menace, causing an up rise in car accidents and fatalities in the USA, which makes the government wants to put provision in place to increase the legal driving age.
3. Not a thesis, lacks unity.
c. Since the economy is getting worse and gas prices are rising Americans are saving less and less money each year because of poor spending habits by Americans.
4. Not a thesis, to general
d. Drugs have been an inventible plague that has been ruining millions of people’s lives, and one of the first steps to fixing this has to deal with education that can curtail drug use.
5. Good thesis, no revision needed.
Drugs have been an inevitable plague that has been ruining millions of people’s lives, and one of the steps to fix this has to do with education which can help curtail drug use. There are countless stories and tragedies that are drug related today. Drugs have taken over millions of people’s lives. Anywhere from ordinary people on the street to billionaires are affected by drugs and drug addiction. The very first step to take when trying to fix this ongoing problem is to educate the users about the harm it can have not only to their life and health but to everyone in their lives as well.
Exercise pg. 62
1. The purpose is fulfilled because it compares Ozymandias’s view of the word despair meanings we bring to the word as a result as the passage of time. He states the thesis most clearly in second paragraph, and his thesis was that he felt like he was the almighty king or God “king of kings” as he stated in his opening paragraphs.
2. The labels for the blocks of thoughts influenced...