Page 1/6 Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc
Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. is the first international fraternal organization to be founded on the campus of
a historically black college.
Omega Psi Phi was founded on November 17, 1911, at Howard University in Washington, D.C. The founders
were three Howard University undergraduates, -- Edgar Amos Love, Oscar James Cooper and Frank
Coleman. Joining them was their faculty adviser, Dr. Ernest Everett Just.
From the initials of the Greek phrase meaning, "friendship is essential to the soul," the name Omega Psi Phi
was derived. That phrase was selected as the motto.
Manhood, Scholarship, Perseverance and Uplift were adopted as Cardinal Principles.
On November 23, 1911 in Thirkield Hall, Love became the first Grand Basileus (National President). Cooper
and Coleman were selected to be the Grand Keeper of the Records (National Secretary) and Grand Keeper of
Seals (National Treasurer), respectively. Eleven Howard University undergraduate men were selected to be
the charter members.
Alpha Chapter was organized with fourteen charter members on December 15, 1911. Love, Cooper and
Coleman were elected the chapter's first Basileus, Keeper of Records, and Keeper of Seals, respectively.
Cooper became the fraternity's second Grand Basileus in 1912 and authorized the investigation of a
proposed second chapter at Lincoln University, Penn.
Love was elected as the third Grand Basileus in 1912 and served until 1915.
In 1912, Howard University officials did not initially recognize the fraternity as a national organization and
Omega Psi Phi's leadership refused to only accept local recognition. As a result, the fraternity operated
without official sanction, until the university withdrew its opposition in 1914, the same year that the Beta
Chapter was chartered at Lincoln University.
Omega Psi Phi was incorporated under the laws of the District of Columbia on October 28, 1914....