Master of Business Administration
Cohort : MBA/05/ PT – Year 1
Special Examinations for 2005 / Semester 2
MODULE: OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT
MODULE CODE: MBA2105
Duration: 2 Hours 30 Minutes
Instructions to Candidates:
1. You are required to answer three questions in total. You should choose only
one question from each section.
2. Section A questions primarily relate to Operations Design and Quality
Planning and Control
3. Section B questions primarily relate to Inventory Planning and Control and
Supply Chain Management
4. Section C questions primarily relate to Outsourcing and Operations
5. Non-programmable, non-text calculators are allowed.
6. Candidates are warned that illegible scripts will not be marked
This question paper contains 6 questions and 7 pages.
Page 1 of 7
SECTION A – PRODUCT AND PROCESS DESIGN
QUESTION 1 : (33 MARKS)
Read the small case study about the process design of Boeing’s 777 aircraft and
answer the following questions:
a) What problems do you think might be associated with bringing customers
together in the way that Boeing did?
(b)Why do you think that Boeing’s customers wanted the flexibility to configure
QUESTION 2 : (33 MARKS)
Read the small case study about Cadbury Schweppes. In the case study it is stated that
Cadbury Schweppes uses batch production methods to make its products and that it is
important the products are of high quality. Based on the information provided
(a) describe the differences between batch and flow production.
(b) critically evaluate the reasons why Cadbury Schweppes uses batch
production when making chocolate bars.
(c) critically discuss which of the following two quality control methods would be
better for Cadbury Schweppes:
• checking samples of the products after they have been made
• making workers responsible for the quality of their own work
SECTION B – INVENTORY AND...