1. In modern society, what do we mean when we refer to the division of labor?
A. The ways construction jobs are organized
B. All the jobs people do are connected to other jobs.
C. The specialization of jobs in the medical field
D. Splitting work equally between two people
2. The United States Constitution delegates police powers mainly to
A. the National Guard.
B. the president of the United States.
D. state and local authorities.
3. Which one of the following statements is most accurate regarding the Mayflower Compact?
A. It founded the Plymouth colony under a proprietary governor.
B. It gave the Pilgrims their own charter.
C. It created the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
D. It made Plymouth a royal colony.
4. Imagine that you're a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses. You've submitted a proposal for a
law that requires colonial inspectors to place grades on different qualities of harvested tobacco. The law
passes, but you know it won't go into effect until it's approved by
A. the Church of England.
B. the appointed governor of Virginia.
C. the king's Privy Council.
D. a popular election.
5. After General Howe's forces defeated the Americans at Brooklyn Heights and White Plains,
Washington's strategy called for
A. cutting British forces into two parts at Trenton.
B. drawing British forces inland.
C. retreating to the south.
D. surrounding the British and forcing them into one location.
6. Probably the main reason Africans, rather than Native Americans, became slaves in America was that
A. Indians were unable to master the work required of slaves.
B. Indians passed North American diseases to the Europeans.
C. Africans were already adapted to slavery.
D. Africans and Europeans shared immunities to Old World diseases.
7. If you came to settle on present-day New York City in about 1650, it's most likely that you're of
8. If you had come to America to...