Final Essay Question
1. Introduce personality. That word is tossed around quite a bit in conversation but discuss what personality actually is and what the personality theories are in general. Compare and contrast the four basic approaches to explaining personality. Provide examples of concepts within each theory.
Personality includes the most noticeable and arguably the most important part of someone’s psychological life. There were two definitions that I found that I feel fit the term personality in a psychological sense the best.
* “Personality is the entire mental organization of a human being at any stage of his/her development. It embraces every phrase of human character: intellect, temperament, skill, morality, and every attitude that has been built up in the course of one’s life.” (Warren & Carmichael, 193, p. 333)
* “An individual’s pattern of psychological processes arising from motives, feelings, thoughts, and other major areas of psychological function. Personality is expressed through its influences on the body, in conscious mental life, and through the individual’s social behavior.” (Mayer, 2005)
In my research there were a few fundamental characteristics of personality that I found to be of high importance.
* Psychological and Physiological – Research suggests that personality is a psychological construct, but also is influenced by biological needs and processes.
* Consistency- Typically there is a noticeable regularity and order to behaviors. Example, people act in the same ways or closely the same in different situations.
* Multiple Expressions- Personality is displayed in more than just behavior. Personality is also seen in one’s thoughts, feelings, close relationships, and other social interactions.
* Impact on Behaviors And Actions- Personality causes us to act in certain ways.
Theories to Personality:
1. Behavioral- Theories as far as behavior is...