PHYS 110 - Physics Test 3
Click Link Below To Buy:
Or Visit www.hwcampus.com
Department of Physics
(Time allowed: DUE 11:35 AM, MONDAY 12/14/2015)
1. Attempt all questions.
2. You may get help (not answers) from tutors and/or classmates.
3. Make sure you show your work, or give an explanation of how you came to your
answer. If there is no work or explanation there will be NO POINTS.
1. A force with magnitude F is needed to separate two charges by a distance r. What will be
the new force F ′ , needed to keep the two charges separated by a distance 2 r?
2. A a particle with charge of Q = 3.2 × 10−6 C is stuck to the top of a table. If another particle
with charge of q = 7.7 × 10−7C, and mass m = 0.10kg is ﬂoating on top of the particle with
charge Q; how high above the table is the particle with charge q?
3. You want to make a particle accelerator in your house. You are going to use a power source
to charge two parallel plates as shown in Figure 1. The particles will then be accelerated
from one plate to the other. The particles you want to accelerate have a mass of m1 =
3.5 × 10−12 kg, and a charge of q = 8.5 × 10−6C. You would like to accelerate the particles
to a speed of v = 6.0 × 106 m .
(a) What should be the potential diﬀerence across the two parallel plates?
(b) Now you want to accelerate diﬀerent particles (with out changing the potential diﬀerence
across the plates). The new particles have a mass of m2 = 1.4 × 10−13 kg, and the same
charge as the ﬁrst particles. If the distance between the plates is d = 0.15m, what is
the force needed to accelerate one of the new particles?
(c) What will be the speed of the new particles when they reach the other side?
4. Figure 2 shows a circuit with a resistor R = 1.0 × 103 Ω, and a battery with potential