It is expected that I would present my arguments in favor of the motion with reference to the Keller’s article. But I request you to kindly allow me to take the opposite stand. I strongly believe that it is necessary for the brands/products to be repositioned as per the changing environment and needs. But I would present my arguments with reference to the Keller’s article.
Below are some of the important points from the Keller article which would be referred to in the report arguments:
1. Customer based brand equity occurs when the consumer is aware of the brand and holds some favorable, strong, and unique brand associations in memory.
2. The essence of positioning is that the brand has a sustainable competitive advantage or “unique selling proposition” that gives consumer a compelling reason for buying the product brand. These propositions could be product related or non-product-related attributes.
3. The presence of strongly held favorably evaluated associations that are unique to the brand and imply superiority over other brands is critical to a brand’s success.
4. Congruence: in general, information that is consistent in meaning with existing brand associations should be more easily learned and remembered than unrelated information though the unexpectedness of information inconsistent in meaning with the brand sometimes can lead to more elaborate processing and stronger association than even consistent information.
5. A diffused brand image, where there is little congruence among brand associations for consumers, can confuse them and the new associations may be weaker and possibly less favorable.
6. Only some of the potentially retrievable brand associations may be recalled when the brand image is not cohesive and consistent.
7. High level of brand awareness and a positive brand image enables the brand to command larger margins and have more inelastic responses to the price increase. It can also lead to licensing opportunities and brand...