University of Phoenix Material
Week 2 Practice Worksheet
Prepare a written response to the following questions.
1. For the following scores, find the mean, median, and the mode. Which would be the most appropriate measure for this data set?
2, 2, 0, 5,1, 4,1, 3, 0, 0, 1, 4, 4, 0,1, 4, 3, 4, 2, 1
Mode: 1, 4
The most appropriate measure for this compiled data would be the mean because it is the average score that is compiled by all of the scores. The mean gives a sense of what the scores truly mean.
2. Based on the scale of measurement for each variable listed below, which measure of central tendency is most appropriate for describing the data?
a. The time (in years) it takes a sample of students to graduate college
b. The blood type (e.g., Type A, B, AB, O) of a group of participants
c. The rankings of college undergraduate academic programs
3. An expert reviews a sample of 10 scientific articles (n = 10) and records the following numbers of error in each article: 0, 4, 2, 8, 2, 3, 1, 0, 5, and 7. Compute the SS, the variance, and the standard deviation for this sample using the definitional and computational formulas.
4. A psychologist interested in political behavior measured the square footage of the desks in the official office for four U.S. governors and of four chief executive officers (CEOs) of major U.S. corporations. The figures for the governors were 44, 36, 52, and 40 square feet. The figures for the CEOs were 32, 60, 48, 36 square feet.
a. Figure the means and standard deviations for the governors and CEOs.
b. Explain, to a person who has never had a course in statistics, what you have done.
c. Note the ways in which the means and standard deviations differ, and speculate on the possible meaning of these differences, presuming that they are representative of U.S. governors and large corporations’ CEOs in general.
5. Radel and colleagues (2011) conducted a...